Home » Skin Care » Betnovate Scalp Application
Pay with Bitcoin and get 10% discount! Click here.
Betnovate Scalp Application
Brand Name: Betnovate Scalp Application
Generic Name: Betamethasone valerate
How does Betnovate Scalp Application work?
Betnovate Scalp Application contains the active ingredient betamethasone valerate, which is a type of medicine called a corticosteroid.
Corticosteroids are medicines used for reducing inflammation. Inflammation of the skin happens due to the irritation of the skin, and is caused by the release of various substances that are important in the immune system. These substances cause blood vessels to widen, resulting in the irritated area becoming red, swollen, itchy and painful.
When betamethasone is applied to the skin it works by acting inside the skin cells to decrease the release of these inflammatory substances. This reduces swelling, redness and itch. Betamethasone is a potent corticosteroid that is applied to the skin to treat a wide variety of inflammatory skin diseases, such as eczema.
Betnovate Scalp Application contains betamethasone formulated as a scalp application, which is thinner and easier to apply to the scalp than the betamethasone ointments and creams used on the rest of the body. It is used to treat inflammatory disorders of the scalp, such as psoriasis and seborrhoeic dermatitis.
What is Betnovate Scalp Application used for?
* Inflammation of the scalp due to excessive oil secretion (seborrhoeic dermatitis)
* Inflammatory skin disorders affecting the scalp
* Psoriasis of the scalp
* Wash your hands after applying this medicine to avoid inadvertently transfering it to other areas.
* This preparation is for external use only.
* If you have been prescribed this medicine to treat psoriasis you should have regular check-ups with your doctor. This is because although corticosteroids may be useful for psoriasis in the short-term, they can sometimes make psoriasis worse, and may cause the condition to relapse into generalised pustular psoriasis after the treatment is stopped.
* Betnovate Scalp Application should be applied thinly and evenly to the affected area(s).
* Avoid contact of this medicine with the eyes and the moist membranes lining the inside of certain parts of the body, eg mouth, nasal passages (mucous membranes). Rinse with cold water if accidental contact occurs.
* Do not use for longer than 5 days in children.
* This medicine contains flammable alcohol. Avoid naked flames and lighted objects, such as gas and electric fires and lit cigarettes, and the use of artificial heat, eg hairdryers.
* Some brands or preparations of medicine containing this active ingredient are not recommended for use in children under certain ages. Consult the package literature provided with the medicine for further information.
* This medicine should not be used for prolonged periods of time, particularly in children, as long-term use may increase the amount of medicine absorbed into the bloodstream and the risk of adverse effects.
Use with caution in
Not to be used in
* Acne rosacea
* Acne vulgaris
* Bacterial, fungal or viral infection of the scalp
* Inflammatory rash around the mouth (perioral dermatitis)
This medicine should not be used if you are allergic to one or any of its ingredients. Please inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have previously experienced such an allergy.
If you feel you have experienced an allergic reaction, stop using this medicine and inform your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
Certain medicines should not be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding. However, other medicines may be safely used in pregnancy or breastfeeding providing the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy, before using any medicine.
* This medicine should not be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding unless considered essential by your doctor. If it is prescribed by your doctor it should not be used on large areas of skin, underneath dressings, or for prolonged periods of time. Consult your doctor for further information.
* Caution flammable: keep medication away from fire or flames.
* This medication is to be spread thinly and sparingly on the skin.
Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine. Because a side effect is stated here, it does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.
* Itching (pruritus)
* Thinning of the skin
* Stretch marks (striae)
The side effects listed above may not include all of the side effects reported by the drug's manufacturer.
For more information about any other possible risks associated with this medicine, please read the information provided with the medicine or consult your doctor or pharmacist.
How can this medicine affect other medicines?
There are no interactions reported with this medicine.